Pages

Are you Cooped up?

Some of my "fans" have been asking me to compile my frugal tips for everyone to see. Especially my ability to feed my family organically on such a small monthly grocery budget ($300-$500). Do I shop at the usual places people think to go for organic foods, "Whole Paycheck"? NOPE, I never step foot in there unless I happen to need a very specific item. Yet at the same time I don't coupon horde either, not like there is a lot of organic food item coupons out there anyway! The simple answer for us is Co-op.

What is a co-op you ask? Well then, let me tell you in one word it's Awesome! A co-op (short for cooperative) is a group of people who get together to order items direct from the supplier usually resulting in close to wholesale cost. Instead of spending retail prices at a major store. There are catches of course, usually they require you to order a minimum amount or some even require you order monthly to keep your "co-op" status. This is why you get together with other families to order together. Co-op items could be anything from food to clothes to toys. You name it!

So This is my little secret for cheap groceries, vitamins, and sundries. It takes some time finding co-ops in your area, usually they are only found by word of mouth, so they take some time to find and some research and smoozing on your part to get in. I have a co-op for everything. Here is a list of the co-ops I am currently using to supplement what my family uses from produce to shampoo!

www.azurestandard.com
Organic and non organic produce, dairy, supplements, packaged food, sundries, staples, and more!


www.frontiercoop.com
herbs, spices, and everything you think you would find in a Whole Paycheck


www.bar10beef.com
Local ranch who delivers healthy grass fed beef to the Las Vegas area (they ship as well)


www.coxhoney.com
Not local honey but they assure me its raw!


www.bountifulbaskets.org
Organic produce at rock bottom prices
there are more produce co-ops like this in town as well; www.tbsteva.org (strictly organic), www.angelfoodministries.com



Now I also had a co-op for raw milk and dairy items but since we are now dairy free I haven't used them in a long while. If you are local to Las Vegas there is a blog you should fallow if you are serious about getting the best deal on the healthiest stuff for your family. A good friend of mine started it and has since moved on but the spirit still remains. Living Healthy in Las Vegas. If you are not local then do some searching. Look for moms groups on living frugally on yahoo or google or even meetup. Or even try emailing or calling the company you want to participate in and see if they have a co-op in your area that you can get in on! This is really the hardest part is just finding the groups!

Now that is only one of my little secrets for living organically and frugally. Do I only order from co-ops, no, I also shop at grocery stores and next week I'll show you my little secret treasures!






0 comments:

Post a Comment